The Welsh Regiment

The Welsh Regiment was formed in 1881 by the amalgamation of the 41st (Welsh) Regiment of Foot and the 69th (South Lincolnshire) Regiment of Foot.

The regiment fought in Gallipoli, Salonika, Egypt, Palestine, Mesopotamia and on the Western Front during the Great War. Three of its soldiers were awarded Victoria Crosses during that war.

The following battalions of the Welsh Regiment spent time in Bedford:

1/4th Battalion August 1914 formed at Carmarthen, part of the South Wales Brigade which was unallocated to a Division. Moved to Tunbridge Wells in November 1914 and in February 1915 to the Forth and Tay defences in Scotland. April 1915 came under orders of the 159th (Cheshire) Brigade in the 53rd (Welsh) Division and moved to Bedford.  Sailed from Devonport in July 1915 and landed at Suvla Bay in August 1915. October 1915  amalgamated with the 1/5th Battalion, forming the 4th Welsh Composite Battalion. December 1915  evacuated from Gallipoli and moved to Egypt. July 1917 the two battalions formed the 4/5th Battalion.

1/5th Battalion
August 1914 formed at Pontypridd. Thereafter the record is as the 1/4th Battalion.

2/4th Battalion October 1914 formed at Carmarthen as a second line unit. November 1915 absorbed by the 2/4th King’s Shropshire Light Infantry at Bedford.

2/5th Battalion November 1914 formed at Pontypridd as a second line unit. November 1915 absorbed by the 2/6th Cheshire Regiment at Bedford.

2/6th (Glamorgan) Battalion December 1914 formed at Swansea as a second line unit. November 1915 absorbed by the 2/5th Royal Welsh Fusiliers at Bedford.

Advertisements