The Queen’s Own Royal West Kent Regiment

The following Territorial Force Battalion of The Queen’s Own Royal West Kent Regiment spent time in Bedford:

2/4th Battalion September 1914 formed at Tonbridge as a second line unit. Moved to Ascot in November and attached to the 2nd Kent Brigade in 2nd Home Counties Division (from November 1914 the 202nd (2/1st Kent) Brigade in the 67th (2nd Home Counties) Division) formed a “Kent Composite Battalion” from HQ and a company from this battalion  plus companies from the 2/4th East Kent and the 2/5th Royal West Kent. On 24 April 1915 this composite unit transferred to the  160th (Welsh Border) Brigade in the 53rd (Welsh) Division at Cambridge. In June this unit was retitled as the 2/4th Battalion and moved to Bedford. Left Bedford in July and sailed from Southampton in July 1915, landing at Suvla Bay on 10 August 1915. December 1915  evacuated from Gallipoli and moved to Egypt. August 1918 left the Division and disbanded in Egypt in September 1918.b

Advertisements