The Monmouthshire Regiment originated in units of rifle volunteers formed in Monmouthshire in 1859. By 1880 the units had been consolidated into three volunteer battalions.
The Volunteer Force was replaced with the new Territorial Force under the Territorial and Reserve Forces Act of 1907, and from 1908 the three Monmouthshire volunteer battalions were redesignated as battalions of a new territorial-only Monmouthshire Regiment.
The following battalions of the Monmouthshire Regiment spent time in Bedford:
2/1st Battalion September 1914 formed at Newport as a second line battalion. February 1915 moved to Cambridge and came under orders of the Welsh Border Brigade in the Welsh Division. April 1915 moved to Northampton and transferred to the 205th (2nd Welsh Border) Brigade in 68th Division. July 1915 moved to Bedford. November 1916 moved to Lowestoft. Spring 1917 moved to Herringfleet and back to Lowestoft later in the year. March 1918 disbanded.
2/2nd Battalion September 1914 formed at Pontypool as a second line battalion. Thereafter their record is as the 2/1st Battalion. April 1918 disbanded.
2/3rd Battalion September 1914 formed at Abergavenny as a second line battalion. Thereafter their record is as the 2/1st Battalion. August 1917 disbanded, troops going to the 2/1st and 2/2nd Battalions.