All units formed by this regiment were of the Territorial Force.
The following Battalions of the Herefordshire Regiment spent time in Bedford:
1/1st Battalion formed in Hereford in August 1914, part of the Welsh Border Brigade in the Welsh Division (renamed the 160th (Welsh Border) Brigade of the 53rd (Welsh) Division). Moved on mobilisation to Pembroke Dock but soon to Oswestry and by the end of the month was at Irchester and Rushden. Moved on to Bury St Edmunds in December 1914. April 1915 transferred to the North Wales Brigade of the Welsh Division, moved to Bedford in May 1915, the formation becoming the 158th (North Wales) Brigade of the 53rd (Welsh) Division, and on to Rushden. July 1915 embarked at Devonport on SS Euripedes, being 29 officers and 969 other ranks. On reaching Port Said the Battalion was reduced to 25 officers and 750 other ranks and these men went on to land at ‘C’ beach at Suvla Bay, Gallipoli, at 7.20 am on 9 August 1915. Their divisional artillery had been left behind in England under orders for France, and the Division had no other wheeled transport and no horses. December 1915 evacuated from Gallipoli and moved to Egypt. June 1918 left the Division and moved via Italy to France, and came under the command of 102nd Brigade in 34th Division.
For their part in the landing at Suvla Bay the Battalion was mentioned in despatches by general Sir Ian Hamilton. …….the 1st/1st Herefordshire, which attacked with impetuosity and courage between Hetman Chair and Kaslar Chair about Azmak Dere on the extreme right of his line.
2/1st Battalion formed at Hereford in September 1914 as a second line battalion. December 1914 moved to Aberystwyth and in April 1915 to Northampton where it came under orders of 205th (2nd Welsh Border) Brigade in 68th Division. In May to June 1915 the battalion worked on north London defences in the Billericay area. Moved to Bedford in July 1915 and on to Lowestoft in November 1916. Moved to Herringfleet in May 1917 and finally disbanded in September 1917.