The Army Veterinary Corps was responsible for the medical care of animals used by the army, in the main horses, mules and pigeons. It reorganised during the Great War to provide a mobile veterinary section as part of each division that went overseas.
The following Section was attached to the 53rd (Welsh) Division when stationed in Bedford:
The 53rd (Welsh) Mobile Veterinary Section, Army Veterinary Corps formed in June 1915. The Section did not sail with the Division in July 1915 but embarked in March 1916 and rejoined it in April 1916